DEEP HOUSE, DETROIT TECHNO: Anthony Shake Shakir – Travellers
Tickets $20+BF: http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?287280
Detroit producer Anthony “Shake” Shakir is one of the more under recognized, underappreciated names in American techno. A bedroom producer since 1981, Shake had an important role in helping shape the early Motor City sound associated with artists such as Juan Atkins/Model 500 and Derrick May. He worked with May and Carl Craig as a producer, writer, or engineer on several early tracks on Metroplex, and worked in management and A&R for the label (as well, he’s often joked, as being the janitor) during its formative years. His first solo material appeared on Virgin’s seminal Techno Sound of Detroit compilation, under the name Sequence 10. Known as something of a techno purist, Shake has distanced himself from the European scene many of his colleagues have turned to for support (this accounts somewhat for his continuing obscurity), and his music is stylistically closer to second wave artists such as Mike Banks and Claude Young – hard, stripped-down tracks which owe equally to techno, electro, hip-hop, and funk.
Shake’s visibility and reputation have risen in more recent years as a result of his Frictional and Puzzlebox labels, the latter of which he formed in 1996 with fellow Detroit electro/techno producer Keith Tucker (formerly of Aux 88). Releasing a series of records both solo and in combination (usually under the name Da Sampla), Shake and Tucker’s Puzzlebox has, along with Underground Resistance and Guidance, become one of the more coveted sources of straight-up, no-bones Detroit techno.
Thanks to Rush Hour Records – the “Shake” has had a new lease on life and with the amazing compliation – “Frictionalism” earlier in 2010, this sky rocketed Shakir back into the scene.
This is Anthony first time in Australia and we are very excited to be able to show case his talents. Anthony amazing production plus his amazing energy and DJ skills behind the decks will make this a very special night.
Along side Anthony we have Joe Stanley and Daniel Lupica.
- (EVENT) DETROIT TECHNO, DEEP HOUSE: Anthony “Shake” Shakir Live in Sydney (sydneyunderground.org)
- (Deep House,Techno): Omar – I’m Feeling You. Feat. Stevie Wonder (Edits & Remixes) (sydneyunderground.org)
- CHICAGO HOUSE,TECHNO & ELECTRO DOCUMENTARY: Detroit : The Blue Print of Techno (sydneyunderground.org)
- Derrick May Art : “Pioneers In Music” by DarkUgh (DETROIT TECHNO) (sydneyunderground.org)
- ACID, CHICAGO HOUSE CLASSIC: Podcast #2: Jackin’ House Moments by Mark Murphy Feat; Frankie Knuckles, Ralph Rosario, Hercules, Adonis, Marshall Jefferson, Jamie Principle (sydneyunderground.org)
- Midwest Electric: the Story of Chicago House and Detroit Techno (undergroundhousetv.wordpress.com)
- Techno don Legowelt releases new album for free (dangerousminds.net)
- Loss of a Techno Rebel: Why Dan Sicko Will Be Sorely Missed (createdigitalmusic.com)
- DETROIT HOUSE, TECHNO: Terrence Parker & DJ Bone Interview on Pulse Radio (sydneyunderground.org)
- Classic Acid House, Techno: Joey Beltram – Energy Flash (1991) (sydneyunderground.org)
Posted on October 15, 2011, in anthony shake shakir, deep house, detroit techno and tagged Anthony, Carl Craig, Claude Young, Detroit, Detroit Techno, Joe Stanley, Keith Tucker, Mike Banks. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a Comment.